Monday, February 23, 2009



Laundry

Lately, I've been hanging our laundry in the basement. It's too cold to hang anything outside, and we don't have a proper outdoor clothesline... yet. I used to just hand a few things, mittens and hats, dresses, delicates, and a few other things that didn't like the dryer.

Years ago, when Mr. Zen and I first married, I hung EVERYTHING to dry. We lived in an apartment and the dryer cost 25 cents for 10 minutes and things never really dried completely in those old dryers. Out of neccessity, I hung our damp clothes around the apartment. After a while, I stopped feeding that old dryer my quarters and just hung everything right out of the washer.

It saved us tons of money, and being a poor nursing student, I really had a need for those quarters for other things. Our clothes seemed to last longer and looked nicer longer, so it made lots of sense.

When our first baby Zen was born, I learned to LOVE my dryer. That's when I started only hanging certain clothes instead of everything. It was so much easier to throw all those baby clothes in the dryer instead of hanging those little teeny, tiny baby socks on the line in the basement. Besides, I had a beautiful new baby who needed me more than the laundry did.

Now, both baby Zens are much bigger. Sad to say, but they don't need me like they used to... They still need me, but it's a much different type of need. Right now, they need me to show them how to hang laundry in the basement.


4 comments:

Mary Q Contrarie said...

You have some really nice pictures of how you hang your laundry. I learned how to hang clothes for air drying that it is much more effiecient to put all those shirts directly onto hangers out of the washer. Then the hangers can just be hung on the line. It doesn't take up near as much room and when they are dry they are all ready to go into the closet.

Miss Healthypants said...

Don't the clothes get crispy, though? I like my clothes nice and snuggly warm & soft. *smiles*

Daisy's Mom said...

Mary Q... I've done the hanger thing before, but I've found that they take longer to dry that way. When I hang them on the line it takes half the time to dry.

MHP... My towels come out crispy, so they go in the dryer, but everything else is fine as long as I use fabric softener!

Br. Jonathan said...

I've had a blast making my own laundry detergent. It works better than any store-bought stuff, is super easy to make, and costs pennies.

http://jbw53191.blogspot.com/2009/11/homemade-laundry-detergent-update-no-3.html