Sunday, January 6, 2008

Another Bread Recipe



I love bread. Especailly a good crusty bread, but a really good crusty bread can be expensive, or at least more than 3 dollars. I found this recipe in the latest copy of Mother Earth News, and let me tell you, it is so worth trying. I tweaked the instructions a little, I almost never follow a recipe exactly, and WOW is this a good bread. It's crusty, cruchy and chewy on the outside, tender, moist and chewy on the inside. Perfection. And, best of all, it didn't cost over 3 dollars.

The Best Crusty Bread Ever (adapted from Mother Earth News issue 225)

1/4 tsp plus one pinch yeast
12 oz warm water - about 95 degrees
3 cups bread flour plus more for dusting
1 1/2 tsp salt

Dissolve yeast in a large bowl with the water. Add flour and salt, stir until blended. When blended, cover with saran and then a dark towel. Let this sit for about 12 to 18 hours at room temp.

The next day, when the dough looks bubbly, flour a work surface and your hands. Pull dough out of bowl and work in in the dusting flour a little. Fold the dough in the flour until the dough is not sticky. Shape dough into a ball, cover with saran wrap and let sit for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, lightly flour a bread towel (or dish towel) set the dough ball in the middle. Dust the top of the dough with more flour, then put another towel on top of the dough. Place dough in a warm area and let rise for 2 1/2 hours until about double in size.

Heat oven to 475. Place empty covered dutch oven in heated oven and let heat for 20 minutes. Place dough ball into heated dutch oven, cover and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover dutch oven and continue baking for 4 minutes. Check every 2 minutes until desired color is achieved. Remove bread from oven, place on cooling rack for at least 2 hours before cutting. (or if you will eat it all immediately cut into after 30 minutes) To store cut bread, place bread cut side down onto a platter and leave on counter.

Try this reipe, you won't be disappointed.

5 comments:

Marty said...

Hi,

I like your blog. It's got a great start. I wondered if you could go to this post and tell us 1/4 of what, a cup, a tsp?

I will send some people over when you have a chance to correct it. They will need the instructions well laid out. smile,

Marty

Daisy's Mom said...

Thanks for letting me know about that omission. It has been corrected!!!

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me if you used a cast iron dutch oven or a porcelain one? Thank you for the recipe...I have been looking for a good easy bread recipe and this looks perfect!

Daisy's Mom said...

I use my LeCreuset dutch oven, so I believe it is enameled cast iron. Good luck with your bread, you will LOVE it!!!

Unknown said...

This Recipe is amazing. I made my first loaf on christmas eve and took it to our family gathering. No one could believe how good it was and how wonderful the crust was. This bread recipe tosses the myth of bread making out the window. It's easy - no mystical vodoo special knowledge required. Things to note - 1/4 tsp plus a pinch is correct for the yeast - I used FLeishmans. The water should be 95 ish degrees - a La-Cruset dutch oven works great! - oh yeah I used Gold Medal bread flour.