Thursday, January 10, 2008

Art is where you find it....















I love art.
I love color and shape and texture and form. I could live in the Art Istitute (where I have been) or the Louvre (where I have yet to be). When it came time for me to add art, and thus joy, to my own home, I couldn't afford "real" art from the galleries. But I was able to find "real" art for my home, with a little creativity, at little to no cost.

If you have children, you have art. I have taken quite a few of my boys' art projects, framed them in cheap black frames with black mats, and presto... beautiful art for my walls. There is something about the black frame and black mat that gives them a museum type quality.

Sometimes, I have created art myself. In my den, I pulled the colors from my walls and furniture and just created a color study. I used blue painter's tape to form rectangles on a cheap artist's canvas, painted the rectangles in the colors I chose, and again... art for my walls. In my bedroom, I used 3 different large canvases (I waited for a sale and a coupon for the canvases), painted them 3 colors that suited my decor, and again, art.

In my son's room, I placed a large map of the world on his wall, bordered it with scrap 1 by 2 wood on top and bottom... functional art. He pushes pins into the map to record what places he has visited.

In my upstairs hallway, I hung long bars that I suspend my children's artwork from. I can change the pieces frequently and I am not making extra holes in the walls.

I get a lot of compliments from family and friends about our art and the way it is displayed. I get personal satisfaction that the art in my home is truly personal and it didn't put a dent in our budget.

Look around your home. There is probably art sitting right in front of you and you might not realize it. Take out some of your children's art, paint a cheap canvas an accent or complimentary color to your decor. Frame a postcard. The choices are endless.

No comments: