Monday, January 14, 2008

Washing Storage Bags





I wash storage bags. I struggled for a long time trying to find the best way to dry my bags without making me and my family crazy. I used wooden spoons in my dish rack, clothes pins on a line, my son's power rangers action figures (only kidding, but it might work!).

One day, I happened to have a chopstick in my dish drainer. It was the perfect height for drying the bags and it didn't take up a bunch of room in my dish drainer. "Hey", I thought, "I have a bunch of these that I saved from Chinese take out. How can I make this more user friendly?" So, I went out to my garage and I found some scrap wood. I used leg from a broken stool and cut a small square from a piece of scrap. Next, I found a drill bit that was a similar size as the chopsticks. I drilled 8 holes in the stool at about a 45 degree angle around the leg. I attatched the square of wood to the stool for a base, popped in the chopsticks, PRESTO, a free bag dryer!! A thick rubber band that once held broccoli is used for storing the chopsticks while not in use.

Look around your house. You don't need to use a stool leg, any leftover 2 inch dowel or closet rod would work. Chopsticks are easy to find cheap or free with a meal.

This is a real easy way to creat something very useful with little to no money, just a little imagination and elbow grease.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have struggled to find an easy way to dry storage bags----thanks for posting this method. DH has the tools and wood scraps, just need to put him to work. These would make good gifts! Thanks again.
Lois inOK

Iwanski said...

Thanks for the tip!

I'm an inner-city drug dealer, and my kingpin told me to eliminate waste and overhead spending in any way I could.

This will save us $7,135 per year.