Thursday, January 17, 2008

Whole Wheat Pancakes


In an effort to add more fiber to my diet, this weekend I made a hearty breakfast that included whole wheat pancakes. To purchase a premade mix is crazy, especially if you have the ingredients in your pantry, and if you do, they are oh, so easy to make.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup white flour (I use my bread flour)
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1 heaping tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Put the above in a large bowl and mix together.

In another bowl mix;
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tblspoon honey
1 tsp vanilla

Heat a skillet over medium heat until drops of water do the "Hot Skillet Dance". Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, don't overmix. Sometimes I add a little extra milk, but this batter is meant to be a little on the thick side. Pour batter onto non-stick skillet. We like 3 -4 inch pancakes, but make the size that you and your family enjoy. These pancakes won't bubble like regular flour pancakes do. The bubbles don't "pop" so I watch the first batch closely and turn when the pancakes stop looking shiny and the edges look a little brown. After the first batch, I can better guage the time for turning.

Sometimes I add a tablespoon or 2 of flaxseed to the batter. The seeds give a nice nutty flavor and a little crunch.

Serve warm with syrup, powdered sugar, jelly, fruit, or plain. Plain or with blackberries are my favorite ways, these pancakes really have a great flavor.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always liked buckwheat pancakes and never tried whole wheat. Do you know how they compare in taste, amount of fiber, etc? Just curious.

Daisy's Mom said...

According to what I read on nutritional packaging, there are 15 grams fiber per cup of whole wheat flour. Buckwheat flour has 18 grams fiber per 1 cup. But, if you add flaxseed like I sometimes do, that should more than make up the 3 gram difference. There are about 3 grams of fiber per tablespoon flaxseed. And I love the flavor they give the pancakes.