Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Soup, it warms the soul.



Soup.... I love soup, especailly during the colder months. Yesterday, I dropped off something at my 90 year old grammie's house, and while preparing to leave, she asked me if I wanted a ham bone. She said she had ham a few days before and didn't know if she could use it. So, to my house it went.

I looked through my cold box and found leftover mashed potatoes that I had prepared skins on and had not whipped, but slightly mashed. PERFECT! I also had a bag of navy beans. Wonderful. I made this delicious bean soup in my large soup pot... and we ate it with some of that leftover crusty bread.

Ham and Bean Soup

Ham Bone leftover with meat bits
leftover mashed potatoes
onion chopped
2 garlic cloves
salt
pepper
water
navy beans (I think I had a 1lb bag)

Sort and wash navy beans. Place in a large pot and cover with 2 inches water. Bring to a boil. Cover and let boil for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, turn off heat and leave covered for 1 hour. Meanwhile, place ham bone in large soup pot. Add just enough water to cover. Add chopped onion and garlic. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 1 hour. When beans are finished, drain and rinse, and then add to ham bone pot. Bring back to boil, boil for 20minutes more and add mashed potatoes. Bring back to simmer. When beans are soft, mash with a potato masher by pressing masher towards bottom of pot. You don't want to mash all the beans, just some to get a good soup texture. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

This is one of the soups that tastes better the next day. We have enough for the rest of the week. Yum!

(you could add carrots or celery to this soup for extra flavor and a bit of fiber, but, alas, I did not have any in my cold box.)

No comments: